Tobermory distillery was founded in 1798 by John Sinclair, under the name Ledaig, and is the only distillery on the Isle of Mull. It is located on the north shore of the island, and changed ownership multiple times, before being bought in 1989 by its current owners, Burn Stewart Distillers. The distillery ships in its malted barley from nearby Port Ellen on Islay, which is also where some of the Ledaig expressions are bottled. Both Ledaig and Tobermory brands are produced here, with the difference between them being the levels of peat in the whisky. Tobermory whisky is entirely unpeated.